January 11, 2006

Top Ten, Week of January 8, 2006

1-10. Butthole Surfers, "American Woman"

*

Just heard several pop, rock, and hip-hop songs that were popular to varying degrees in 2005 and supposedly pretty good, and they all made me want to stab my eyes out, more or less: My Chemical Romance, Secret Machines, Andrew Bird, Art Brut, Kanye West, Gorillaz, blah blah blah blah. But maybe that was just an unlucky draw -- the ratio of enjoyable / interesting to annoying / boring in music that's new and at least fairly popular at any given time is probably not worse than in any other semi-arbitrary grouping.

...Aaaannnd I just found myself wanting to hear "Dare" again. Ha!

*

Other stuff that has not made me want to stab my own eyes out lately:

Neil Young, "Revolution Blues," "My My Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)," "Cowgirl In The Sand"

Marco Remus, "Moneybitch." This would be hard minimal techno, I believe? 2003.

Marcel King, "Reach For Love." 1984 Factory dance track.

some of that Ghost Box stuff that Reynolds and k-punk have been pimping

Roxy Music, "All I Want Is You"

Rolling Stones, "Stray Cat Blues"

U.S. Maple, "Dumb in the Wings." I want to see them live.

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, "The Ballad of Bobby Pyn"

*

T/k: the Pretty Things, Slayer, Tiga