April 17, 2006

software installation: abort / retry / fail?

(or "Wow, K-punk, This Kool-Aid Tastes Great!" or "Chicken Soup for the Post-Humanist, uh, 'Soul'")


I recognize

Sonic Youth, "Reena"

*

Mark you're not crazy or we both are

(Actually I think you might be batshit insane, but you're not wrong.)

Either way, I'm waving at you, with my iPod and one-hitter.

*

let me tell you
you, you know, I
I need a miracle
I need a miracle
it's more than physical
what I need to feel from you


Doppelbanger, "Damaged Miracle" (Coco vs. Gang of Four)

*

The Trouble with Carol: The Costs of Feeling Good in Todd Haynes' [Safe] and the American Cultural Landscape, Julie Grossman, Other Voices 2.3 (January 2005)

"I think the movie may qualify as posthumanist, but posthumanist in the only way in which that term might be meaningful as a tool of social critique, a tool of change: not as a reflection of the text's play with notions of the death of the human (or humanist) subject, but as a politicized critique of society's marriage to structures that define our experience at the expense of the very many people who fall outside these normative categories, not only because of their sex, sexual orientation, race, or class, but because they dare to question, in whatever fragmented way their minds and bodies will allow them to do, the cultural assumptions that underlie these normative categories."













"I love you. I really love you."